April 10, 2009

A day in the park

I had such a great day with my hubby! We were able to spend some much needed time together and get out of the house, which both are rare these days with school and work. This has been our Easter (Spring) Break and today was the first day that we had the morning together. So, we headed to the park! This wasn't just any park though; we went to the Museum Park. It consists of over 160 acres of trails, woodlands, and environmental art and it is a part of the Museum of Art. We walked for several minutes, thought we were lost, and then we walked around the clearing in the trees and this came into view.

It's called the Wind Machine. Cool huh? Everything on it spins and turns. It was a windy day, so we got the full effects of the Wind Machine.

This was our view from the top of the hill.

Can you see those big rings in the distance?

This structure was tucked away on the side of the trail. We couldn't see it from the top of the hill. It left quite an impression on me.


It was called Collapsed.
After Brad took this picture, I moved in for a closer look. (I wanted to see what it was made out of) Brad started laughing at me because I must of stuck my face a little too close...
Another angle.
Brad said, Is that what it looks like? Yes, darling!

We saw this beautiful BLUE bird. So pretty, and so blue!

My hot hubby walking down the hill towards the big rings (I forgot what they were called)



This is how big they were!


There were several different paths we could take. But we saw this giant corn-on-the-cob looking thing. I forgot it's name too.

It was huge.

A close up of the corn. It was made of brick, mortar, stones, and shiny glass pieces.
Brad followed me into the woods...what will we find next?

I followed Brad over the bridge.
We stopped to enjoy God's beautiful creation. Look at the new fern leaves growing!


We also stopped to take a picture. One of the best parts about our trip, there was barely anyone else there! So peaceful!

What's that in the distance? Is it the Tower of Babel?

Still can't figure it out, yet.
Wow, this thing is humongous!

It's a tower of newspaper!

Weird, but a great way to recycle.
This one was my favorite! It was called the Cloud Chamber.
This is how the museum describes it:
This shelter operates as a pinhole camera. A small aperture in the roof projects an inverted image of the sky onto the floor of the chamber, an effect that seems to pull the sky down to the viewer. Inside your perspective is turned upside down. Instead of looking up at the sky, trees, and clouds, you look down on them from above.
You have to go inside the little chamber, and close the door. You must wait for your eyes to adjust to the darkness, and all of a sudden the trees begin to appear! It was really amazing!
These pictures don't do justice to how incredible it really was. It was kinda romantic too!
We didn't see all of the sculptures/structures. We decided to save some things for the next time we come visit. It was such a gorgeous and relaxing day!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Well just to let you know it poured rain here ALL day! Miss you

Courtney said...

Your hair is pretty cute I think! Finally a picture. And while I was at Meredith the art students did a newspaper sculpture thing, but it began to stink and blow away...

The Dales said...

Have I ever mentioned you're so stinkin cute? You look so hip...I'm jealous! heehee!

The Browns said...

I've never heard of this place!

Anonymous said...

Libby....did you were boots with heels to trapse through the wilderness???

Love,
Elizabeth

Libby said...

Ha Ha Ha... Elizabeth. Yes, I did wear my cowboy boots to go gallivanting in the woods. I didn't expect us to go through wild terrain though. In my defense...I had just left the doctor's office.

Steph: You are too sweet. Thanks! I learned how to be cute and hip from you, remember?

Courtney: Thanks. My hair already needs to be cut again, but I am too scared to do it any time soon! And about the newspaper tower...it was all moldy! Yuck!